Thursday, May 21, 2015

Bitten by the Silver Bug

I've been bitten by the silver bug...

It started with a pear-shaped Swarovski silver patina crystal that had been sitting around my studio for the past several months. I incorporated it into a Prism Blossoms Pendant, and complemented it with silver half Tila, bugle, triangle, and seed beads.


I used a crystal clear rivoli for the center to keep the emphasis on the silver beads and the flowers. To keep the focus on the silver portions of this piece, I also used a relatively simple complementary color palette of oranges and blues for the Dragon Scale bead flowers.

For my next silver piece, I turned to the Annular O Necklace. This colorway features silver patina rivoli crystals, but these shiny crystals are paired with more muted pewter seed beads. A touch of purple adds color to the necklace.


Finally, I collected a bunch of Tila, half Tila, bugle, and seed beads as well as crystal AB crystals for a Half Tila Technocluster beaded bead. I left the half Tilas clear in an attempt to blend them in with the crystals, and I think I was successful on this point, however the resulting beaded bead does not show the sharp lines that some of the other colorways of this design.


I also experimented with reflective surfaces for this photo, but it didn't quite turn out the way that I would have liked. So the photography of this piece remains a work-in-progress.

Beading patterns for all three of these designs are available at beadorigami.com, and kits for these colorways and more are available as well.

Which do you prefer? Silver, gold, bronze, or another color entirely? Drop me a line in the comments :)

Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. These are very interesting. I think you did a pretty good job of everything,even the photo. I've been to sites where they only have jpegs and no commentary. I think as a viewer we need a little behind the scenes commentary. So, I'm going to tell you I especially appreciate your words. Thanks,Rachel Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! There does seem to be a particular emphasis on photos (and sometimes just photos) in this social media age, but I also appreciate the long form of the blog. I'm very glad to hear that you agree :)

      Delete
  2. OMG, these are all gorgeous!!! I prefer gold myself, but the silver piece is just breathtaking! I love, love, LOVE your work!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...